Merry Meerkat Marginalia

SPOILER ALERT!

The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss

Star Rating: 5 Stars, buy it

Re-read review. When I read the series for the first time in 2011 I didn’t really take notes or really write real reviews. I’ve decided to go back and review my favorite books over time.

Lush in detail. Breathtaking. Alive, full of fresh air and all around amazing. If you aren’t reading Patrick Rothfuss, you have no idea what you are missing. This is the story of Kvothe. Rothfyss is vague as to what Kvothe is (magician, wizard etc) but he does have magical abilities. SPOILERS. Kvothe is a young teen when his parents are murdered by a mythical people called Chiandrin (spelling is wrong, something like that though). After living on the streets of the city for a few years he manages to get himself into University and has lots of interesting things happen to him, including getting whipped for something not really his fault. He also is involved in a fire raging through a school building.  Plus we meet Denna who will play a larger role later (we learn this through a segment in the future from where Kvothe is telling is story to a chronicler).  Kvothe also meets Auri, a young girl who lives in the sewers and is very mysterious (Could be fae maybe?). I love Auri, and really hope she shows up more in the second book (I’ve read it before, just can’t remember).

Overall, just as good as a remembered. I highly recommend this series if you haven’t read it yet.