Merry Meerkat Marginalia

Jim Henson: The Biography

Jim Henson: The Biography - Brian Jay Jones

5 Stars, Buy it

Gift, for Kindle

I rarely cry reading books, especially biographies or memoirs. This one did it to me though.  Honestly, a good portion of the book got really boring and bogged down in details. Especially when going on and on and on about the Dark Crystal and the Labrynth. Also, the part on the Disney deal really started to get on my nerves.  But, then Jim Henson got sick. Got really, really sick and died.  My body got tingles and I felt numb. What pushed me to tears was the description of a card from Disney to Henson Associates of Mickey Mouse with his arm around Kermit and Mickey Mouse says something really touching (won’t ruin it). The descriptions of the memorials held for Jim Henson were amazing, I can imagine that Jim Henson would have totally loved it.

I loved hearing about Jim Henson’s personal life, his love affairs, his children and his friends. I loved hearing about the Muppets, the Muppet show, Sesame Street, Kermit and Elmo. All of those meant so much to me growing up, and I treasure them as parts of my childhood.  It really was a huge shame that Jim Henson only lived to be 53 years old.  Over all  a fantastic book and worth owning.

General notes on the book:  The prologue starts with a nice juicy, loving story of Henson. Which is particularly good because the first chapter is a little overwhelming with his parental history. While not bad and pretty interesting, I didn’t really care about his family. However I did learn his family was Christian Scientists. Wow. But they weren’t freaky about it, they used doctors when there was emergency’s.  Jim Henson apparently didn't like coffee. Also he lived in Maryland. I live in Maryland.

I had No idea the muppets on SNL.  Lots of big names dropped in this book.  I was never a big fan of the Dark Crystal or the Labrynth, so the parts dedicated to those movies seemed to go on forever.  One interesting part, just past Fraggle Rock (which is another Jim Henson thing I didn’t watch so was bored with in this book) is that Wicca gets mentioned in relation to a movie called witches which Henson did. I mention this because I used to consider myself Wiccan.