Merry Meerkat Marginalia

merrymeerkatmarginalia

The Tropic of Serpents

The Tropic of Serpents - Marie Brennan

Star Rating: 4 Stars

Self purchase for Kindle.

Well, that was a little disappointing. I’m pretty positive I gave the first book in the series 5 stars.  The writing was well done but the plot was really weak and honestly not that much happened.  The plot does pick up at 65% in, but it doesn’t help the plot much.  That all being said, I still really enjoy this series and look forward to the third in the series (I hope) but I was let down because the first was so good. I can’t give this book less than 4 stars because it is well written but the plot needed some tuning, more stuff added.   Also, I’m annoyed I still don’t have a favorite book so far of the year.

These books are a series of memoirs of a woman in the victorian area who is a naturalist of Dragons.  They are set in a fictional world which I presume is loosely based off of Europe.   One thing that I found interesting, is that in that time period, womens periods were not discussed, so for it to be talked about in this memoir was definitely unique. And it was done in a way that was believable.

Overall, a good book, but the first was much better. PS I really want there to be more in the series!!!