Merry Meerkat Marginalia

The Golem and the Jinni

The Golem and the Jinni - Helene Wecker

Star Rating: 3.5 Stars

Self purchase for Kindle

Originality: Very original. The story of a Golem and a Jinni in sort of modern day New York. Can’t really tell you what year its supposed to take place.  It’s a bit of a slow start, but at 20% the Jinni gets boinked. HA.

So, now that I’m done I’m not quite sure what to say about this book.  It had SOO much potential. The story premise was really good, a pseudo love story between a Golem and a Jinni.  However, it was so freaking slow.  It never held my attention for long, I always got distracted by things around me on metro. If I almost miss my stop, I know I’m enjoying the book. That never happened with this. That being said, I still liked it enough to plow on to the end just so I know what happened.  I was also a little bit confused between two characters, the person who created the Golem and the Rabbi type person. If you read this book, you’ll know who I mean. Anyway, if you like slow moving, descriptive stories, you’ll probably like it more than I did..  And I must say it was highly polished and well written, but not enough happened for me.  The other thing I really liked but is really unimportant in the scheme of things is the cover. The cover was freaking beautiful. I just wished the story had been as good as the cover.

Some quotes from the book which I like:

“ I Look at what we call faith, and all I see is superstition and subjugation. All religions, not just Judaism.  They create false divisions, and enslave us to fantasies, when we need to focus on the here and now.” Page 153

“Ahmad,” She repeated. “Where are you from?” “You would know it as Syria.”” I would know it as Syria? What do you know it as?””Home,” He said.