Merry Meerkat Marginalia

merrymeerkatmarginalia

Suitcase of Stars: Enchanted Emporium

Suitcase of Stars - Pierdomenico Baccalario, Iacopo Bruno

Star Rating: 4 Stars

Netgalley book. Wasn’t available for my kindle (darn it) so I had to read it on my iphone.

First Impression: Promising, some nice pretty language.

This is a story of a boy who gets in trouble for skipping school. He finds out about this magical emporium. A young girl helps run this store and magical adventures ensue.   This is very whimsical. Perfect word for it. I really enjoyed it.  .  I like Finley, he’s not made out to be perfect. Just an average kid who is skipping school.  I’m not sure if this is going to be a series or not but if it is, I definitely would want to read the follow up.

I love the graphics that break up the chapters that are explanations of magical items. Very well done.

I should state I read this in two stages because I had the flu for almost two weeks and wasn’t able to read it. However, I still really thought this was sweet and worth reading.

Things that annoyed me:  I know this is a children’s book so I’m trying not to judge too harshly. But seriously people. If this is a castle, there should not be wallpaper on the walls and no writing on the ceiling. Maybe I missed something but this detailed annoyed me. Castles did not have wallpaper.

Writing: Nice writing, better writing then most children’s books which I give bonus points for. The writing style doesn’t assume children are stupid and need only small words. Very pretty writting.

Quotes:

“On windy days, the sky was clear and the clouds sped by like wool through the threads of a loom.”