Merry Meerkat Marginalia

The Greatest Star on Earth

The Greatest Star on Earth - Kate Klise, M. Sarah Klise

Star Rating Art:  4 Stars

Star Rating Story: 5 Stars

Overall: 4.5 Stars

Netgalley Review

First Impression: Very cute

Art/Colors: Adorable black and white illustrations throughout

Not the first in the series, but it totally doesn’t matter.  This is one of the cutest, sweetest, most tender and loving children’s books I’ve read in a long time.  It teaches good lessons without being religious and preachy, a rare combination.  The talking animals are adorable and sweet.  The book even starts with a great proverb: “ Be Humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars.” Love it.  I love one of the minor characters names:Polly Pumpkin seed. Adorable.  Also, love the word collywobbles which is apparently a funny name for stomach aches.  I have no idea if its a made up word or not, but Its adorable. Just like the entire book. I only with the illustrations were in color and maybe a little better, but they are so sweet even if not perfect.

Praises:  Newspaper clippings can get annoying in books. However, they are handled very well in this book. Not too many and not to few. Just the right amount. And they don’t run on too long.

Quotes:  “‘We all have times when it’s difficult to be kind,’ said Sir Sidney. ‘It’s not easy to give up something you had your heart set on.  But someday you’ll learn there are more important things in this world than trophies.’