Merry Meerkat Marginalia

Book Reviews.

merrymeerkatmarginalia
A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, #14; A Memory of Light, #3) - Robert Jordan,  Brandon Sanderson Great. I just spent 40 minutes typing my review for goodreads and it didn’t save so I’m going to have to start over. For now on, I am using google drive to save my reviews. Oy, so annoyed.

I have waited so long for the ending of the series, and it was so worth it. This is one of the first fantasy series that I read and helped me discover a whole new world of books, the fantasy genre which is my favorite genre to read (though I do like others a lot as well). The older books in the series were typically better and then went down hill as the books went on. I feel like Brandon Sanderson really revitalized the series when he was brought in to finish the series for Jordan.

I’ve always wondered why in this series why the prologues were so long. In this final novel, the prologue was 75 freaking pages long. Seriously?? Did it really need to be that long? The whole book was 900 pages long and I felt like some trimming could have been done but whatever. All the books in the series were overly long so I shouldn’t have been surprised.

As I typed my review the first time, I was debating whether to give this 4 or 5 stars and settled on 5. The main reasons I wanted to give it 4 stars is because of Robert Jordan’s apparent hatred of women. He portrays any woman in power as manipulative and power hungry and controlling. One quote that supports my theory of Jordan hating women: “‘All men are ignorant, Aes Sedai’ Androl said. ‘The topics of our ignorance may change, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything.’” Another is: “You Aes Sadai all assume that the way things have been done is the only way to do them. Well, the black Tower will not be subject to you. We can look after ourselves.” And another: “ You want saidin to be tainted again. You Aes Sedai... you’re threatened by the idea of men who can channel, undermining your authority.” Anyway, I am able to ignore Jordan’s sexist, and annoying characterazations of women so I did give it 5 stars cause it was very good.

Now for some story spoilers. Moirene finally comes back after lots of forshadowing in previous books. She comes in when Rand and Egwene are having a bit of a face off, so I just about squeeled. I think all main and supporting characters who haven’t been killed off show back up in the final book, including Lioal whom I love. Matt I also loved, he always had great lines and his cursing, even if he was a bit of a womanizer. They do tease you into thinking Matt is dead, but however he isn’t. They also lead you to believe that Lan and Elayne and Faile are dead but they are not. However, the one main character they do kill off is Egwene. I figured at least one main character had to die. Supporting characters who died were Siuan, Gawyn and Gareth Bryne, though I didn’t care much about them. Brigette was also killed off. I was more upset by her being killed but she is almost immediately brought back by the Horn of Valere. She is dead, as she ends up going away to get reborn.

I think the biggest surprise of the book is that Rand does not die. Yes, you read that right. After all of the hinting and implying he would die, he does not. He does loose the ability to channel but he seems happy about it.

So over all, a very good book. I even put it on my favorite shelf. It was a great ending to a great series despite Jordan’s apparent hatred of women.