Merry Meerkat Marginalia

The Reluctant Cannibals

The Reluctant Cannibals - Ian Flitcroft

4 ½ Stars

Netgalley review.

Here’s the thing. I’m not a food person. Never liked eating much and most of the time it bores me.  I also couldn’t care less about wine. I’m the child of an alcoholic and therefore have no interest in drinking wine. That being said, this book is crazy good, even if you aren’t into wine and food.

Short Summery: (Some minor Spoilers)    This takes place in Oxford in the U.K. in the 1960’s. A group of professors form a dinning club and they meet regularly and have these big fancy dinners along with wine. Each Professor brings a guest who also suggest dishes for these meals. At one dinner party, Fugu is served (I had to ask my husband and it is indeed true). Fugu you can eat only certain parts of. Well in this book the fish is not cut right and someone dies at the dinner party.  Then one of the main characters is diagnosed with a heart condition and is told he would die soon. So of course he eats and drinks and takes up pipe smoking.   He then decides he wants his body to be eaten by the club when he dies, so he goes and has a will drawn up.

I don’t think I want to describe more as I don’t want to ruin anything.  But this book is a lot of fun.

Love how the club is nicknamed the declining dinning society. The characters are a complete hoot and are very believable.  My only complaint is that the ending is a bit anticlimatic.

Cover:  I love, love, love the cover. Black and red, great combination of colors.

Spoilers:  OMG. The asparagus race (toward the end of the book) almost made me spew what I was drinking. SO funny: “ The Nature of the victory? To be the first to pass water laced with the rich aroma of asparagus.”

Quotes: So many, but the book is so good.

“Indeed. Eat, Drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may die.”

“We’re all dying, so we might as well enjoy ourselves during the process.”

“I think the Bible is strickter on shellfish and pork than eating people.”

“He was pulled awake in the small hours of that April night by the unavoidable visceral sense of impending gastric emptying.”

“In his mind, the images of ramming Arthur’s ashes up the rear end of a turkey were proving deeply unsettling.