Merry Meerkat Marginalia

Book Reviews.

merrymeerkatmarginalia
Night Train to Memphis - Elizabeth Peters, Barbara Mertz Star Rating: 3 Stars

Netgalley review.

This was my first introduction to the Vicky Bliss character, so I was really happy to see this available on netgalley. I was especially interested because this one takes place in Egypt. I really, really wanted to and expected to like this book as much as I like the Amelia Peabody series but unfortunately I just didn’t. It’s not a bad book, it’s mostly fun, just not as great as the Peabody books. There are some good quotes though.

One amusing moment of the book is when Vicky Bliss refers to an archaeologist named Amelia P. Emerson (her character from the Peabody series). And later in the book Elizabeth Peters refers to the husband and wife team again, not bothering to name them but implying its them because of their known rigorous standards of recording.

Quotes: “Bavarians put whipped cream on everything except sauerkraut. That’s one of the reasons why I love Bavaria.” - Vicky Bliss
“Please, God, I thought, let me be suffering from sunstroke or schizophrenia or something harmless like that.” - Vicky Bliss