Merry Meerkat Marginalia

Book Reviews.

merrymeerkatmarginalia

Albert the Alien Volume 1: New in School

Albert the Alien 1: New in School - Rose McClain, Trevor Mueller, Trevor Mueller, Justin Castaneda, Naum Gabo, Naum Gabo, Zach Miller, Jennifer Blake, Tom Kelly, Mark Waid

4 Stars, Buy it

Self Purchase, Kickstarter, Paperback

So I bought this volume (and some side stories which I previously reviewed) through Kickstarter. Which by the way is an awesome place to discover some new comics. Anyway, I liked the short stories enough that when Volume 2 was announced on kickstarter, I jumped on the bandwagon again.  But I did figure it was probably time to squeeze in the time to finally read volume 1. Which I really should have read first but anyway….

Albert is an alien from another planet. And he is joining this school where there are bullies. Before he even makes an apperaance Gerty, a young girl student is already sticking up for him. The bullies immediately try to bother Albert. Meanwhile, alien school supplies are causing problems. In chapter 2, we learn that Albert will be living with Gerty. Wally continues to make trouble in the form of mutating food. In chapter three, an unidentified object is making it’s way toward earth. Also in the first three issues, someone was stealing stuff from children’s lockers.

This seems to come to ahead in chapter 4. The main story line ends there.   There are a bunch of short bonus stories after the main story and I’m not rating on these. I read some of them, but not all of them since I have such limited reading time.

I love how Albert always gets human phrases wrong. This graphic novel is just so cute and sweet. I love how it teaches young readers how to be nice.  The main story line is great, and I think kids would really like this a lot. The art is really nice, though it still could be a bit better, but it’s good enough really. The bonus stories have different artists.  I do really recommend this series for kids.