Merry Meerkat Marginalia

Book Reviews.

merrymeerkatmarginalia

The Autumnlands: Tooth + Claw #1

The Autumnlands Volume 1: Tooth and Claw - Benjamin Dewey, Jordie Bellaire, Kurt Busiek

5 Stars, Buy it

Self purchase, Comixology

First Impression: I think I’m really going to like this.

Today I really wanted to try a new series since the last three single comic issues I read were not all that exciting so I bought two new comics to try, this being one of them.  The cover is super awesome and that is probably why it caught my attention.

I love (mostly) anything with airships so I was happy to see them. I definitely like the writing a lot.  The art is quite good (not spectacular but I still like it enough to rate the entire issue 5 stars).  I also really liked that as it was a first issue, it was made extra long so you could really get into it.  I believe Dustan, a dog, is going to be a main character and I really like him. He’s much more gentle and kind than his father. This is the story of some animal magicians but I won’t go into it more than that cause it was so good and exciting that I want others to read it and experience it the way I did.  Super awesome and a lot of fun. I’ve already bought the next 5 issues and subscribed to the series. I should also point out that this is an Image comic, no surprise. I had seen an online story recently of how Image is the best comic publisher out there right now and I happen to really agree. This is superb, great for older kids and fans of animals and epic fantasy. I can’t recommend this enough.

Description (Comixology):MARVELS and ASTRO CITY writer KURT BUSIEK returns to Image Comics with rising-star artist BEN DEWEY for an all-new ONGOING SERIES! Conan meets Game of Thrones meets Kamandi in an original high-fantasy epic for mature readers, as a secret conclave of wizards brings a legendary champion back through time to save the world, with disastrous consequences. The action begins in a spectacular DOUBLE-SIZED FIRST ISSUE, with forty-four pages of story with no ads!