Merry Meerkat Marginalia

Amulet, vol 4 The Last Council

Amulet, Vol. 4: The Last Council - Kazu Kibuishi

5 Stars, buy it

Self Purchase, Kindle edition

I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned this before, but I love everything that Kazu Kibuishi does, even when he’s just the editor (Flight and Explorer series).  This one has a bit of the Hunger Games to it (it’s a good thing, I loved the Hunger Games). I love all the animal characters ( I’m a huge animal fan so none of this should be a huge surprise), but I only like one (Emily) of the human characters, the rest I’m indifferent to. The mother of Emily is a bit pathetic but I can’t find it in myself to actively dislike her.   The colors and art both are very good and definitely don’t have any complaints that wise. The plot is good though I wish there were summaries of the previous volumes at the beginning of each one. In anycase, great series. Recommend for kids and adults of all ages.

Description (amazon source): Emily and her friends think they'll find the help they need in Cielis, but something isn't right. Streets that were once busy are deserted, and the townspeople who are left live in crippling fear. Emily is escorted to the Academy where she's expected to compete for a spot on the Guardian Council, the most powerful Stonekeepers. But as the number of competitors gets smaller and smaller, a terrible secret is slowly uncovered--a secret that, if left buried, means certain destruction of everything Emily fights for.