Merry Meerkat Marginalia

The Paying Guests

The Paying Guests - Sarah Waters

5 Stars, Buy it and everything else Sarah Waters writes

Self Purchase, Kindle. Pre-Ordered

First Impression: Seems as lovely as all her other work.

I really enjoy Sarah Waters work, especially her GLBT work. I wasn’t sure if this one was going to fall into that category but it does.

So Maybe the first ⅓ of the book, it’s pretty slow. But its deliberate. And so worth the wait. And once you hit the past of no return, you can’t go back. This book is utterly amazing and intense. Vivid, lush, wild. Agonizing, intense and beautiful. An emotional rollercoaster. I’m in love with both Frances and Lilian. And like any sane person, I hate Lenoard. And when he gets what’s coming, all hell breaks loose.

This book takes you on an emotional rollercoaster unlike anything else I’ve ever read. The first third of the book, maybe a little more, was a bit slow. But it built and built and then everything goes wrong and its up and down and up and down and you have no idea what is going to happen next. Your heart is at your feet and then choking you and I know I’m barely making sense but this is what this book does to you. A freaking Mazing.    I think I like this better than Fingersmith and Tipping the Velvet but it’s been too long so I’m not sure. But I’m going to be re-reading those. And this book definitely has a good re-read ability.     Not sure what else to say. Oh the ending. You think the book can only end a certain way but you hold out hope and then  SPOILER  everything is alright with the world. And then it is ok to breathe again because you’ve been holding it the entire book.

Needless to say you WILL have a book hangover when this is done.